Box Seats Baseball

OOTP X league for the best and brightest of baseball fans!

FA Compensation

Poll

Gimme dat!

[ 8 ]
    73% [73%] 
    [ 2 ]
    18% [18%] 
    [ 1 ]
    9% [9%] 

Total Votes: 11
    BSB Owner
    Admin

Swings : 208

FA Compensation

Post  BSB Owner on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:46 pm

clown

ApexGM

Swings : 78

Re: FA Compensation

Post  ApexGM on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:53 pm

I am going to hold my vote for now. I would REALLY like to hear guys opinions as to why this is good. I don't know why but I have never used it so if guys like it, Convince me.

Dan
    Afino

Swings : 91

Post  Afino on Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:07 pm

My other league uses an out-of-game compensation system with one big point:

With trading picks on, you only get a compensation pick (or two) No losing first, second or whatever rounders.

ShoelessJoe

Swings : 142

Post  ShoelessJoe on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:09 am

This only works if you disable draft pick trading.

I am holding my vote for now but am definitely in favor of this option over simply allowing teams to trade awayd their future.

ShoelessJoe

Post  ShoelessJoe on Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:35 pm

FWIW the free agent compensation system has been addressed and fixed in the new patch that was released last night.

This system won't work though if we allow draft pick trading.

Seabass

Swings : 28

Post  Seabass on Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:56 am

ShoelessJoe wrote:This only works if you disable draft pick trading.

I am holding my vote for now but am definitely in favor of this option over simply allowing teams to trade awayd their future.

Not really, the way we do it in my other league is that you can trade your first round pick, but just know, you aren't signing any Type A FAs...

ShoelessJoe

Post  ShoelessJoe on Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:20 am

Seabass wrote:

Not really, the way we do it in my other league is that you can trade your first round pick, but just know, you aren't signing any Type A FAs...

True enough.

I guess it would just be an outside rule we'd have to adopt if the majority favors FA comp.

I for one think it is a great system and is finally supposed to work the way it is intended.
    Voodoo

Swings : 38

Post  Voodoo on Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:49 am

ShoelessJoe wrote:
    Seabass wrote:

True enough.

I guess it would just be an outside rule we'd have to adopt if the majority favors FA comp.

I for one think it is a great system and is finally supposed to work the way it is intended.

Maybe this would make managers think twice before trading their #1 picks. I think we should be able to trade picks, but I would prefer it didn't happen willy-nilly.
    Afino

Swings : 91

Post  Afino on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:50 am

Weird, I happen to prefer the willy-nilly trading.

Although in another league, we ended up (because of teams rebuilding) with three teams holding 14 out of 36 picks in the 1st round. That's not exactly desirable either.

ShoelessJoe

Post  ShoelessJoe on Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:43 pm

Voodoo wrote:Maybe this would make managers think twice before trading their #1 picks. I think we should be able to trade picks, but I would prefer it didn't happen willy-nilly.

That is an excellent point. Definitely would make one think a bit more before just dishing out a first rounder. If you had plans to make a splash in the up coming free agent market, you'd probably reconsider unleashing your first round pick so quickly and would probably place a higher value on it.

I like this idea, ALOT.

ApexGM

Swings : 78

Post  ApexGM on Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:38 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
    Voodoo wrote:Maybe this would make managers think twice before trading their #1 picks. I think we should be able to trade picks, but I would prefer it didn't happen willy-nilly.

That is an excellent point. Definitely would make one think a bit more before just dishing out a first rounder. If you had plans to make a splash in the up coming free agent market, you'd probably reconsider unleashing your first round pick so quickly and would probably place a higher value on it.

I like this idea, ALOT.

We had beet have a damn good list of every player that you would lose something if you signed them and what you would lose.

FA compensation blows. Go the norm, min-sal x 3 years Arbi x 3 years (obviously the super 2 exeptions), then if yuo can't keep em sorry charlie
    Voodoo

Swings : 38

Post  Voodoo on Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:45 pm

ApexGM wrote:
    ShoelessJoe wrote:

I like this idea, ALOT.

We had beet have a damn good list of every player that you would lose something if you signed them and what you would lose.

FA compensation blows. Go the norm, min-sal x 3 years Arbi x 3 years (obviously the super 2 exeptions), then if yuo can't keep em sorry charlie

What kind of fa they are is listed in the contract area.

ShoelessJoe

Post  ShoelessJoe on Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:02 pm

Voodoo wrote:
    ApexGM wrote:
    ShoelessJoe wrote:

I like this idea, ALOT.

What kind of fa they are is listed in the contract area.

Yep.

When you are offering a contract to a free agent it clearly states what type of free agent the said player is classified as. It also tells you what type of draft pick you will be losing if you do sign the player.

It is pretty clear cut.

Just know that if you trade away your first rounder, you aren't going to be able to sign a type A free agent, as Voodoo mentioned.

This is a great idea and gives everyone something they want.

Hey, I don't like trading picks and prefer compensation. Some others are the opposite.

Why not have both sides of the deal here if we can?
    BSB Owner
    Admin

Post  BSB Owner on Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:08 pm

I think we can do both. You have to be responsible for your picks, so if you trade them you are harming yourself in free agency. I think it'll make 1st and 2nd rounders even more important.

ShoelessJoe

Post  ShoelessJoe on Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:23 pm

BSB Owner wrote:I think we can do both. You have to be responsible for your picks, so if you trade them you are harming yourself in free agency. I think it'll make 1st and 2nd rounders even more important.

100% it will make GMs place a higher value on those high draft picks. I've seen too many guys just willing to dump a pick so easily because they don't actually represent a player yet.

This will change that.

Post  Guest on Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:19 pm

This sounds like this can be a slippery slope if you start trading your picks. I like it! Hahaha.
    BSB Owner
    Admin

Post  BSB Owner on Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:27 pm

And in-game has clinched the division title.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:26 pm