Box Seats Baseball

OOTP X league for the best and brightest of baseball fans!

A Minor Proposal

Voodoo

Swings : 38

A Minor Proposal

Post  Voodoo on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:47 am

Proposal: The champion of each level of minors gets a sandwich pick in the following draft.

Why? Sometimes I think the competition in the minors is underappreciated. It's still baseball. Sure win-at-all-costs may not be the point, but winning beats losing every time. Also, the major league playoff race will not be an option for some GMs. Yet they can have a little slice of playoff fever in September if we just give them something to play for.

Problems: I assume, but I'm not sure, that there will only be one league for each level of minors. Probably need some rules about sending players down to stack the deck. Picks come before or after regular sandwich picks?

See what I did there with the title? Wink
    Afino

Swings : 91

Re: A Minor Proposal

Post  Afino on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:15 am

Yeah, there would need to be rules to prevent stacking the deck, but I can see the merits of something like this.

Don't know if I'm in favor of it though.
    WichitaGM

Swings : 34

Post  WichitaGM on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:05 pm

I think it's a cool idea.

And honestly, if I want to sacrifice the rest of my MLB season for a chance at the AAA crown, I wouldn't call it "stacking the deck", after all, it's just a sandwich pick. (they will be getting something like the 26th overall pick at best).

That said, I think the sandwich picks resulting from this should go after the "regular" sandwich picks. So kind of a "sandwich sandwich" round. And, in order of league level... i.e. AAA champ, AA champ, A champ, R champ.
    scottdogg73

Swings : 41

Post  scottdogg73 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:55 pm

I like the idea but it sounds like it could be complicated to implement. Also, getting an extra pick, basically at the top of the 2nd round, seems like a bit too much reward for winning for winning a minor league title.
    An easier option may be to add a bit of cash to the bottom lines of the championship teams.

ShoelessJoe

Swings : 142

Post  ShoelessJoe on Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:40 pm

I dunno.

By 'stacking the deck' to win the minor league title to gain an extra pick, you are also in a sense tanking your big league team which also gains you a higher chance at the number one overall pick.

I see this causing more issues than it would be worth.

Kind of cool idea, but in the long run, I don't think it would be easy to implement or would be worth the possible can of worms it could cause with teams sending big league players down to win a minor league championship.
    WichitaGM

Swings : 34

Post  WichitaGM on Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:12 pm

True. Maybe the cash system would be better? But then you still have the incentive to tank your big league club to get the #1 overall pick.

Not to mention, it may skew the results of the last month or two of the regular season. If I'm vying for a wildcard spot, my chances are a lot better if I play a team or two a few times that has totally checked out.

ShoelessJoe

Swings : 142

Post  ShoelessJoe on Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:53 pm

Yeah, adding any reason to tank your big league club to gain a reward for winning a minor league title isn't the best thing to do IMO.

I see what this is trying to do, give the teams out of the race something to do down the stretch.

I don't don't think we should be rewarded for dropping big league players down to the minors to earn that reward. That is exactly what will happen. Players will be demoted to help the minor league team out and it will hurt the big league team causing them to drop in the standings and gain a higher draft pick.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:48 am