Box Seats Baseball

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Box Seats Baseball

OOTP X league for the best and brightest of baseball fans!

+2
BSB Owner
ShoelessJoe
6 posters

Rules / Settings

ShoelessJoe

Swings : 142

Rules / Settings Empty Rules / Settings

Post  ShoelessJoe Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:23 pm

I got to thinking last night about what type of rules and settings this league will be using.

I personally prefer the 1-10 rating scales and have used it most, so it is what is familiar to me. That doesn't mean I am against any other settings though, just my personal preference.

Might as well start discussing things like this so we have a general idea of which direction this league is headed.

BTW - I like the new logo you put up top.
    BSB Owner
    BSB Owner
    Admin

Swings : 208

Rules / Settings Empty Re: Rules / Settings

Post  BSB Owner Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:00 pm

Here is what I am thinking, but ultimately it will be up to us all to discuss.

No scouting, no coaching.

Enable all forms of suspension. The only one I'd question is drug suspension. Is this a perfect world?

I think average injury frequency will suffice, as high is well.. high. Average fatigue as well.

Ratings don't matter much to me, but I usually use 1-100, 20-80 overall. Up to you guys.

I would like to fiddle with the aging, development, and randomness mods. I want randomness down a bit to avoid issues, but aging and development I'll have to research a bit more.

I feel like we should use the personality and morale factors, as it's fun to give fictional players personality.

---

League Rules?

DH's are a hot-button issue. One with, one without? Both with? None at all? I'd rather have both or none.

I'd keep the 40-man, 25-man, 10 day DFA's, roster expansion, options, Rule V the same. Do you disagree?

A big one is salary cap. Hard cap, soft cap? We must vote. I'd lean towards none or a soft-cap, but debt could force you to move.

I thought about putting the amateur draft BEFORE the regular season, to give it that NFL Draft feel.

Um, I'm probably missing some stuff.

Thanks about the logo Shoeless. Not the best, but it'll do for now.
    ShoelessJoe

Post  ShoelessJoe Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:27 pm

BSB Owner wrote:Here is what I am thinking, but ultimately it will be up to us all to discuss.

Enable all forms of suspension. The only one I'd question is drug suspension. Is this a perfect world?

I think average injury frequency will suffice, as high is well.. high. Average fatigue as well.

Ratings don't matter much to me, but I usually use 1-100, 20-80 overall. Up to you guys.

I would like to fiddle with the aging, development, and randomness mods. I want randomness down a bit to avoid issues, but aging and development I'll have to research a bit more.

I feel like we should use the personality and morale factors, as it's fun to give fictional players personality.

---

League Rules?

DH's are a hot-button issue. One with, one without? Both with? None at all? I'd rather have both or none.

I'd keep the 40-man, 25-man, 10 day DFA's, roster expansion, options, Rule V the same. Do you disagree?

A big one is salary cap. Hard cap, soft cap? We must vote. I'd lean towards none or a soft-cap, but debt could force you to move.

I thought about putting the amateur draft BEFORE the regular season, to give it that NFL Draft feel.

Thanks about the logo Shoeless. Not the best, but it'll do for now.

Here are my thoughts

I like no coaches and scouts in an online league as well.

All forms of suspensions are good too, even the drug ones. Kind of helps lend a personality to players.

Injuries are fine as is IMO

I wouldn't be opposed to the 1-100 rating scale although I still prefer 1-10 and do not like 20-80 or 2-8.

I agree again on the personality and morale factors. It helps bring the fictional players to life.

As far as DH goes, i think it should be used in both leagues or none. This is an all or nothing in my opinion. I personally prefer no DH but wouldn't be totally opposed to using it in both leagues.

All the roster rules are good as is as well and I do like the rule 5 draft being enabled. The only thing that may be affected or need some attention is the DFA and waivers depending on the length of SIM you are planning to run.

In my fictional league we are running with a soft cap of 100 mil with a luxury tax on anything over the cap.

We originally had the draft mid season in June but have now switched it to offseason prior to opening day. It is nice to not pause the regular season to do a draft. We run a live portion in a chatroom as well so it works out nicely. The only reason we did the first amateur draft mid-season actually was because we ran an inaugural dispersal draft and did not want to have back-to-back drafts before ever getting into the regular season.
    BSB Owner
    BSB Owner
    Admin

Post  BSB Owner Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:03 pm

I figured the ratings, DH, and salary cap would be the big issues.

Ratings are really up to you guys. I'll put it up to a vote. Same goes for the other issues, in which I'll take the vote as pretty much 99% of the solution as to whether or not I implement it.

Post  Guest Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:39 pm

I prefer playing with no scouting / no coaching.

All suspensions are fine.

Average injuries are fine.

Ratings aren't a huge issue to me either.

I always mess with talent randomness and tone it down a bit. I make players age a bit slower as well as it seems guys are done at 29 years old with it set at 1.000.

Fine with morale and personality ratings being on.

I have no preference if we use DH or not.

I'd prefer NOT to have a salary cap but am not sure how we could determine market sizes without the players we draft having it be the determining factor.

Amateur draft before the season is alright with me as well.
    Afino
    Afino

Swings : 91

Post  Afino Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:27 pm

BSB Owner wrote:Here is what I am thinking, but ultimately it will be up to us all to discuss.

fine

fine with everything

Average injury frequency even is too high in OOTPX. I know from experience. I would suggest low. Average fatigue is fine.

1-10 actual, 1-5 or 1-10 potential. Overall with stars.

I agree. Drop talent randomness to like 75. Run some test sims with aging and development. I'd suggest the Skydog OOTP9 settings. Look on the OOTP boards as the actual numbers I can't remember.

fine

---

League Rules?

Yes for both leagues.

DFA/Waivers is another issue depending on how long sims run. You have to make sure that either the sims are shorter than 10 days, or the waiver/DFA period is long enough to allow other teams to USE the in-game waivers and to not release players you don't want to release

None, but agreed on some sort of "fiscal sanity" rule

Fine

Options. Contract incentives. Those are two pretty big things and things that can cause problems if abused. Discussion needed.

friarfan
    friarfan

Swings : 10

Post  friarfan Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:58 pm

Afino wrote:

fine

100% Agree

fine with everything

100% Agree

Average injury frequency even is too high in OOTPX. I know from experience. I would suggest low. Average fatigue is fine.

In all three of my other leagues we all voted dropping the injury frequency to "Low" after the first season of having it set to normal. Normal produced a ton more injuries than what we were having in previous versions. "Low" seems to be about right.

1-10 actual, 1-5 or 1-10 potential. Overall with stars.

I'm a big fan of the 1-10 ratings for actual and 2-8 in potential. I like the 2-8 potential as it's a little less specific (as talent evaluations tend to be). I believe that's the general grading scale used by most MLB scouts as well. May be talking out my ass on that one but someone told me that before and I liked the sound of it.

I agree. Drop talent randomness to like 75. Run some test sims with aging and development. I'd suggest the Skydog OOTP9 settings. Look on the OOTP boards as the actual numbers I can't remember.

Agree with this.

fine

Yep

---

League Rules?

Yes for both leagues.

I'm a no for both leagues but can live with it either way.

DFA/Waivers is another issue depending on how long sims run. You have to make sure that either the sims are shorter than 10 days, or the waiver/DFA period is long enough to allow other teams to USE the in-game waivers and to not release players you don't want to release

None, but agreed on some sort of "fiscal sanity" rule

I'm ok with no cap but all fan interest/loyalty/market/budget settings should be set to be the same to start the league and let them develop from there.

Fine

Options. Contract incentives. Those are two pretty big things and things that can cause problems if abused. Discussion needed.

I'm cool with options but the incentives tend to be abused and are a little hard to police since some guys like to walk the line on what's absurd and what's not. I'd like to see incentives off but options on.

Post  Guest Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:03 pm

I'd prefer injuries to be low as well but was fine with them being normal. I always play with them at low though myself.

As for ratings, for overall I would MUCH rather see numbers than stars.
    ShoelessJoe

Post  ShoelessJoe Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:07 pm

Shane wrote:I'd prefer injuries to be low as well but was fine with them being normal. I always play with them at low though myself.

As for ratings, for overall I would MUCH rather see numbers than stars.

I actually think we should tone down the injuries. I originally posted that it was fine as is but I usually tune it down in my own leagues.

Also, in my online fictional league we replaced the old star rating system with the 20/80 scale to lend a more realistic feel. That is how real scouts grade players anyhow.

We use 1-10 scale for player ratings such as Power, Contact, Stuff etc and the 20/80 for overall rating.
    Afino
    Afino

Post  Afino Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:10 pm

I don't have a problem with 20-80. I just prefer stars.

I actually don't think I've seen an online league with 20-80. Or at least one I've been interested in.
    ApexGM

Swings : 78

Post  ApexGM Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 pm

Here is what I am thinking, but ultimately it will be up to us all to discuss.

100% Agree, Scouts and coaches are just not very fun to use especially in an online legaue.

Agree

I think it kinda depends on how long the season is. If we have 162 game season then well avg would prolly be just fine. 120 or so then low tends to be better.

I am a fan of 1-10 for actual and potential. This is kinda huge to me. I don't really care what is realsitic or not really. I have played in potental only leagues and actual only leagues and also a 1-10/2-8 and man they just suck. I can live with 1-100/1-100 or 1-10/1-10 but I like the 1-10/1-10 better. Just force of habit.

Also I kinda like stars off but thats not that big of a deal.

I like the idea of slower aging so guys don't burn out in their 20's and I also like lower randomness b/c no one likes a star just out of nowhwere becoming a bum from random tallent hits

Personality and morale are cool to use.

---

League Rules?

I agree with the guys who say both yes or both no but I am fine with either.

I agree with others about DFA and waivers. IF we run 7 day sims then DFA/waivers should be 14 days (injury too).

I like a hard cap with a good outside the game formula for budgets.

I'm ok with no cap but all fan interest/loyalty/market/budget settings should be set to be the same to start the league and let them develop from there. (agree with this too cept for the no cap part)

YEah this tends to work out soooo much better in online leagues to have the draft after FA period and before ST

I agree that incentives are real cheater issues in online leagues. I think we should keep options on and incentives off. Or just be allowed to offer what the player asks for in incentives in game. Those seem to be the only non abusive ways to do it.

Dan
    ApexGM
    ApexGM

Rules / Settings Empty another thing

Post  ApexGM Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:23 am

2 more things I just thought of...

1. Inaug draft. Draft on forum for 1st few (10?) rounds? or just let the AI do it all.

2. Sim some history?
    This is something that I think is kinda interesting. Go something like 5-10 or 50-100 years to get some history.
    I think this does a few things. Not only does this give us a sense of some "history" of records and king players of the past, but it also giives a better pool of players and better minors. It won't nec. make the tallent pool too full or anything but gives us a sense of what some guys might do as well as a sense of prospects too.

I just know that with my own league I am in year 4 and it just still doesn't feel like there is enough history or tallent in the league yet. This increases every year but still a bit slow. Simming some years might help us

Just some middle of the night ideas I had.

Dan
    Afino
    Afino

Post  Afino Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:36 am

Yeah, I think 10-15 rounds on forum is pretty adequate.

And personally, if you're going to sim history, we need to delete that history before we start. I understand the reasoning behind simming some history, but I don't want to see 20 years of history and 20 years of players we don't care about. Not to mention Hall of Fame stuff.

I'm against it.
    ShoelessJoe

Post  ShoelessJoe Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:11 pm

I am 100% against the idea of artificial history. You can go in and edit most of it out but the league champions and such will be stuck. I would hate to have fake champions. I was once in a league that simmed 50 years of history before we took control of the franchises. I found it hilarious that some of the GMs were bragging about how many championships their team had won under complete AI control.

I also love the idea of running some of the first rounds of the inaugural draft live in a chatroom setting. We did this in my own league and it was a blast. People got to chat it up, get to know each other, and you could adjust your draft strategy on the fly according to how others were picking in front of you.

At the very least, I would like to see 10-15 rounds done on the forums. These are the first steps in really shaping a franchise and I would like to have as much control over that as possible.

Another thing pertaining to the draft. Serpentine or Straight Order draft? Personally for the inaugural draft I think Serpentine is the fairest way to go about it. For the first amateur draft simply reverse the inaugural order and go with serpentine again since we wont have standings and team records to go by.

Post  Guest Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:39 pm

If you sim for history, please erase it. Fake league champs and people in the hall of fame that no one cares about is annoying.

Speaking of, are we doing an inaugural draft to start the league off or letting the teams just get filled automatically?
    ShoelessJoe

Post  ShoelessJoe Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:49 pm

Shane wrote:If you sim for history, please erase it. Fake league champs and people in the hall of fame that no one cares about is annoying.

Unfortunately, you can't erase the champions from simmed history. We ran tests when setting up my fictional league. You can remove most of the FAKE history, but the champions will still be there and recognized as such.

It is a BIG negative in my book. Artificial history is no good.

Sure enough when starting up a fictional league there is nothing to look back on. You don't know who the great players are yet, but that is kind of the purpose IMO... to write our own history to look back on, not some AI controlled deal.

Over time this league will mature and have it's own user created history to look back on. It will be worth the wait to look back on what type of impact we had on it, rather than reading what happened during an AI controlled period.
    BSB Owner
    BSB Owner
    Admin

Post  BSB Owner Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:59 pm

NO artificial history. This is the first year of this league.

There will be an inaugural draft. Live if possible! Very Happy

Post  Guest Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:53 pm

BSB Owner wrote:NO artificial history. This is the first year of this league.

There will be an inaugural draft. Live if possible! Very Happy

Sounds great!
    ApexGM

Rules / Settings Empty Sorta

Post  ApexGM Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:37 pm

While I do agree that guys bragging about their team's accomplisments before any human took over is a bit rediculous I think the idea here is for 2 things.

First a bit of tallent leveling and not taking 10 years to get to a good point, which it seems not many people argue with as long as we erase stats from past.
    The second to me was just for some fun records to shoot for. Think of the fun of watching someone in the league trying to break a HR record set 30 years ago by the legendary Joe schmo. I just figured it gave us a sense of imersion of the league. And how is this different then looking at todays players and comparing them to Cy Young or Babe Ruth. None of us knew them at all and we seem to care alot about them.

Also it would give us another thing to rate players on. How manytimes have you seen a player in a league be rated 7-7-7-7-7 and just suck. But that 5-7-5-8-3 player for some reason hit 310 every year with 20+ hrs. Rare? Yes, but it still happens and could influence a draft pick.

Lastly let me say I am not married to the idea, I am just stating why I was for it. I would be just as happy simming out 10-15 years and erasing stats etc, but I think not erasing it gives us some fun sense of the league structure. We would build it as a crash of the league and everyone became a FA when the new commish came to town (fictional role playing sorry just had to go there).

As for inaug draft. I am all for a Forum draft, I think a chat room draft,while fun, is a legistical nightmare to set up with 16 owners and a commish. (finding a time where everyone is available I mean).

Dan
    ShoelessJoe

Post  ShoelessJoe Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:54 pm

ApexGM wrote:
    First a bit of tallent leveling and not taking 10 years to get to a good point, which it seems not many people argue with as long as we erase stats from past.

Also it would give us another thing to rate players on. How manytimes have you seen a player in a league be rated 7-7-7-7-7 and just suck. But that 5-7-5-8-3 player for some reason hit 310 every year with 20+ hrs. Rare? Yes, but it still happens and could influence a draft pick.

It doesn't take THAT long to balance a league out if the settings are good. We just completed our first season in a fictional 16 team universe and had no problems with high rated players not producing. I mean, it is not out of the realm of possibility for it to happen, but it is pretty rare. There are plenty of real life players who are supposed to be good but just don't preform. Very Happy

ApexGM wrote:The second to me was just for some fun records to shoot for. Think of the fun of watching someone in the league trying to break a HR record set 30 years ago by the legendary Joe schmo. I just figured it gave us a sense of imersion of the league. And how is this different then looking at todays players and comparing them to Cy Young or Babe Ruth. None of us knew them at all and we seem to care alot about them.

That is just it though, Joe Schmo... It doesn't really mean anything, what record Joe Schmo set 30 years ago while letting the AI run the entire league. Joe Schmo doesn't belong in the record books. Just my 2 cents on that.

ApexGM wrote:As for inaug draft. I am all for a Forum draft, I think a chat room draft,while fun, is a legistical nightmare to set up with 16 owners and a commish. (finding a time where everyone is available I mean).

I know I keep repeating myself when speaking of the league my brother and I fired up earlier this year. We scheduled a live draft in a chatroom setting and had a great turnout for it. As long as everyone has a decent time frame to make plans, we should be able to get a good portion of the league involved in a live draft. If it comes down to it and someone isn't able to make it, they can submit a list and it works all the same.

It really helped bring the league to life and allowed a chance for the GMs to chat and get to know one another. Afterall, I seem to remember the Commish here saying he wanted to build this into more than just another league... he wanted it to feel more like a family type community. There is no better way to establish that right off the bat than to sit down for an hour or two on a weekend and select the first few key players for your new franchise.

I am just giving my opinions here and would not die if we simply ran the draft on the forums. Very Happy

Last edited by ShoelessJoe on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post  Guest Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:04 pm

I am all for a live chat draft.
    Afino
    Afino

Post  Afino Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:13 pm

I'm up for at least TRYING to do it.
    ApexGM

Post  ApexGM Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:22 pm

Let me ask you this then Joe (for sake of arguement).

Does Joe JAckson mean nothing to you then?

You were not alive and all you really have is stats on him. Why does he matter. Why do we care about Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Cy Young.

To me this is the same as a leaue history.

And the simulating 5 seasons my main reasoning is not really to see what guys with 7 contact are bums but to get more players into the database. When you start a league at year 1, all the teams minor leagues for lack of a better term, suck. When yuo sim out some more years, the minors can come together more and mean somethig right away.
    Even if we delete the history at very least I think this is a good idea to get us on the ground running.

As for a Chat room. Again, I am all for trying to get everyone there, but to me, it's all or nothing. I would rather do a forum draft 100% then have to submit a list. Draft picks can change after every pick is made. And if I am having to submit a list for 3-4 rounds b/c I cannot make it, well then thats a HUGE disadvantage right off the bat.

I would rather see everyone make the draft then miss anyone.

Once again just my 2 cents. And I love talking about it with us all, great to find what works for ALL.
    BSB Owner
    BSB Owner
    Admin

Post  BSB Owner Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:06 am

Hm, I didn't think of the history in those terms, Apex. Good points.

We'll probably just vote on it - makes it easy! Surprised

As far as live draft, it might be too hard to pull off, but we'll see what happens.
    ShoelessJoe

Post  ShoelessJoe Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:22 am

ApexGM wrote:Let me ask you this then Joe (for sake of arguement).

Does Joe JAckson mean nothing to you then?

You were not alive and all you really have is stats on him. Why does he matter. Why do we care about Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Cy Young.

To me this is the same as a leaue history.

I see where you are going with this, but it isn't quite the same since we cannot affect that part of real history. In all honesty part of the reason we play in a fictional league is to see the history play out before our eyes and to see what type of impact we can have on that. We all want to be a part of writing the history to look back on. If we wanted to read some stats generated by simming multiple AI controlled seasons, we can easily fire up a solo league and do that in a matter of minutes. Building a league's history shouldn't come over night with the click of a mouse button.

I love Joe Jackson and everyone else who has ever played the game, for the most part. I wasn't alive during that time though nor did i have any part of running a team in that league. For me I get the most satisfaction out of generating the history as we go along in our fictional universe. Anything artificial takes away some of the immersion that we gain by being there, by doing that, and by voting for whomever it is that should come away with some hardware for each season being played. Artificial records don't mean anything in an online league that will be eventually controlled by human GMs and interaction.

ApexGM wrote:And the simulating 5 seasons my main reasoning is not really to see what guys with 7 contact are bums but to get more players into the database. When you start a league at year 1, all the teams minor leagues for lack of a better term, suck. When yuo sim out some more years, the minors can come together more and mean somethig right away.
    Even if we delete the history at very least I think this is a good idea to get us on the ground running.

This isn't necessarily true. The league settings have a lot do do with how players are generated and develop.

Again, I am going to reference my own fictional league since it is new and was in this same boat only a few months ago. We have had no outrageous or out of the ordinary situations regarding young players or lack of talent in the minor leagues. In fact, the talent levels are right in line with what we expected and aimed for. With the right settings, everything will pan out and balance itself in a timely manner.

It is fairly realistic to expect a league's talent pool to improve and develop more as the league matures. That is completely natural and not something we should make an effort to circumvent. You can't expect top flight talent to be involved in a new league concept.

ApexGM wrote:As for a Chat room. Again, I am all for trying to get everyone there, but to me, it's all or nothing. I would rather do a forum draft 100% then have to submit a list. Draft picks can change after every pick is made. And if I am having to submit a list for 3-4 rounds b/c I cannot make it, well then thats a HUGE disadvantage right off the bat.

I would rather see everyone make the draft then miss anyone.

I have no problems with participating in a forum based draft. It takes much longer to complete, there is almost no interaction between GMs, but it does get the job done.

I will be happy either way to just get this league going and have some players on my roster.

I would definitely like to see us attempt to make a live portion of the draft happen, even if only for a couple rounds. It is a lot of fun and can bring a lot to a new league.

I'd be willing to help out in anyway I can to help organize and maintain something of this nature. I have experience doing so with a 16 team league and we had a great turnout, a lot of fun, and we continue to do a live draft for the amateur as well.

Like I said, I will be happy with a forum or live draft but would like to see us try to organize a time where we can sit down for an hour or so to select the first few players for our new franchises.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:42 am