Box Seats Baseball

OOTP X league for the best and brightest of baseball fans!

Rules / Settings

ApexGM

Swings : 78

Re: Rules / Settings

Post  ApexGM on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:36 am

BSB Owner wrote:Hm, I didn't think of the history in those terms, Apex. Good points.

We'll probably just vote on it - makes it easy! Surprised

As far as live draft, it might be too hard to pull off, but we'll see what happens.

Agreed I think a bunch of things will just have to be voted on. But I think we all have the best interest of the league in mind.

I also wanted to add about the simming a few seasons for more minors etc. I think it will go towards making some guys who end u with a lesser team possibly stick around longer this way. I mean if you start off a normal run inaug draft you will get eveyrone with pretty crappy minors outside of the random 3-4 players and the 1st year player draft. Which isnt really a whole lot. And you will also end up with say 4-6 teams who will just not end up very good at 1st. IF this is the case there could be more turnover then we might want. If a guy's team is blegh but hey he has a decent minors to look forward to then he might stay.

I did about 4-5 tests this evening just to see the difference. And while I cannot really put it into # terms I can say the minors are a bit more established while not completely overwhelmingly good after a 5 year set up, wipe out history, then re-draft.

I hope that makes sense. Obviously Iwill state it again for the record, I don't really care but I think this is one thing that can go a long way towards making us a bit more unique then a normal start up. BUt hey bring the polls on I would love to get christmas here lol (the day we all get a spanking new francise Smile )

How many owners we up to?
    BSB Owner
    Admin

Swings : 208

Post  BSB Owner on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:38 am

Half full Dan! Feel free to join me (us right meow) in the chat on the bottom of the main page. Can't navigate away from it (kind of dumb, I'll work it out). Wink

ApexGM

Post  ApexGM on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:39 am

I am at work but let me see if it will let me in the chat from this cpu

ShoelessJoe

Swings : 142

Post  ShoelessJoe on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:41 pm

ApexGM wrote:I did about 4-5 tests this evening just to see the difference. And while I cannot really put it into # terms I can say the minors are a bit more established while not completely overwhelmingly good after a 5 year set up, wipe out history, then re-draft.

If there was a way to completely remove all the history I would be inclined to agree with ya here. Sadly, wiping the slate clean will still leave the champions from those 5 seasons in the record books. That pretty much sucks.

Otherwise, I do see what you are getting at.

Still though, the minor league system isn't going to be THAT bad for the first few seasons. I don't see a reason to rush past the first few years of the league's existence. The minor league systems will be fine. There will be plenty of young players in the draft pool.

I guess we'll just wait for the polls to be posted and see how the cards fall into place. Very Happy
    Afino

Swings : 91

Post  Afino on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:11 pm

You want the talent to even out quickly?

Add scouts and hidden players. The hidden players will help "juice up" the talent.

Of course, there is negatives with that, aka it's mostly luck and it kills the draft.
    Afino

Post  Afino on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:02 am

Things to discuss:

Afino wrote:Feeder leagues.

Aging/Development modifiers - HIGHLY suggested that we discuss these in some way, if we use feeder leagues, they have to be adjusted further.

Options/Contract incentive guidelines.

Participation awards/points system.

In-game or out-of-game FA compensation (on or off)
    BSB Owner
    Admin

Post  BSB Owner on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:06 am

I touched on the guidelines to contracts a bit in my videos. Just want to make sure that contracts are semi-realistic. I think we all know what ridiculous contracts can be made. I really don't have strong opinions on anything else. So I'll wait to see where the world sways. As far as participation, I thought about adding amounts of cash, minor ratings bump, win an arbitration, move your team, bump your market up once. Those latter ones would be major and take a ton of Swings.
    Afino

Post  Afino on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:07 am

BSB Owner wrote:I touched on the guidelines to contracts a bit in my videos.

Like I'd ever watch those.... Razz

What exactly ARE Swings?
    BSB Owner
    Admin

Post  BSB Owner on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:09 am

Haha. I know, my ugly mug.

Swings are just a point system based on posts. Threads are worth more than simple posts. Posts in the Team News thread and Trade Block thread are worth more. I can also add Swings as I please if I feel like you are awesomely awesome.
    Voodoo

Swings : 38

Post  Voodoo on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:13 am

Hey guys. Happy to be aboard.

I wanted to suggest that we add a rookie league. At one time I was in a league without one, and high potential/very low current rookies kept tanking because of the relative talent level in A ball.

ShoelessJoe

Post  ShoelessJoe on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:42 pm

Voodoo wrote:Hey guys. Happy to be aboard.

I wanted to suggest that we add a rookie league. At one time I was in a league without one, and high potential/very low current rookies kept tanking because of the relative talent level in A ball.

I would actually like to see a rookie league for that reason as well. The really young, yet talented guys have a hard time hanging in the higher minor league levels.

We should definitely consider having a rookie league.

ApexGM

Post  ApexGM on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:42 pm

Actually it doesn't matter at all. A guys do just as well. I have never seen a league where A was just too hard on players.

When you have a league below A it could be A is too hard, but when A is the lowest the game will not have guys not be able to cut it at A and take hits.

ShoelessJoe

Post  ShoelessJoe on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:02 pm

ApexGM wrote:Actually it doesn't matter at all. A guys do just as well. I have never seen a league where A was just too hard on players.

When you have a league below A it could be A is too hard, but when A is the lowest the game will not have guys not be able to cut it at A and take hits.

Actually, it has been proven that not having low level minors can stunt the growth of young players.

You guys were really worried about the minor leagues sucking, this could change that drastically.

18 year old players have no business playing at single A.
    Voodoo

Post  Voodoo on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:28 pm

ApexGM wrote:Actually it doesn't matter at all. A guys do just as well. I have never seen a league where A was just too hard on players.

My experience is anecdotal, but in my opinion you're dead wrong here.

ApexGM

Post  ApexGM on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:34 pm

Dead is a bit strong. And also your opinion.

I am not wrong (IMO) and have seen it in tons of leagues. And I do mean TONS.

But we can agree to disagree

Very Happy
    Voodoo

Post  Voodoo on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:28 am

Let me ask you this: Is it your opinion that in a league where A is the lowest level, and ratings are measured 1-5, that the game will not generate high potential rookies with say 12112 ratings? Or even 11111?

Because in time human players in the natural course of playing will staff A ball with higher level ratings players. What system is then in place to prevent these rookies from tanking because they are not at a like level?

ShoelessJoe

Post  ShoelessJoe on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:46 am

ApexGM wrote:Dead is a bit strong. And also your opinion.

I am not wrong (IMO) and have seen it in tons of leagues. And I do mean TONS.

But we can agree to disagree

Very Happy

I just don't get it, Dan.

You are so worried about the minors sucking in the other threads but then you are so quick to cut out a crucial playing field for young prospects to develop on.

It has been proven in many tests that not having the lower level platforms for youngsters to develop on, often has a negative effect on the development patterns.

Adding a Rookie league does no harm but ensures that newly drafted players won't tank due to the lack of ability to compete.

ApexGM

Post  ApexGM on Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:08 am

Too many levels of minors is micromanagement and takes a fun system and turns it into work.

Thats my point.

3 levels fun

4+ work. Thats all.

ShoelessJoe

Post  ShoelessJoe on Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:06 am

ApexGM wrote:Too many levels of minors is micromanagement and takes a fun system and turns it into work.

Thats my point.

3 levels fun

4+ work. Thats all.

You are honestly saying that having one extra minor league team makes it go from fun to a job?

Most leagues use ghost players anyhow. So if you don't want to micromanage, you don't have to.

I for one would like to have more control on the development of my players. If you don't want to take advantage of another platform to get prospects playing time, use the ghost players.

I cannot believe you are seriously saying that adding a single level of minors makes this more job like, yet you keep suggesting all these micromanaging rules to police without giving the GMs of the league the benifit of doubt. You want to automatically assume everyone is here to bend the rules and exploit loopholes. Sure it happens, but can we address that as needed rather than have a novel of a rule book of outside rules? And I don't just mean here, you have an added rule for just about everything, yet adding a helpful thing to minor leagues, which you are also apparently worried about them sucking and not having the proper talent levels, is too much to ask?

Again, you keep talking about trouble keeping interest in leagues yet you want to add all these rules to keep track of instead of just playing the game.

I am not trying to come at you in an aggressive manner, but I just don't understand where you are coming from.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:53 pm