Box Seats Baseball

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Box Seats Baseball

OOTP X league for the best and brightest of baseball fans!

+4
WichitaGM
ApexGM
BSB Owner
scottdogg73
8 posters

Sim Schedule

scottdogg73
    scottdogg73

Swings : 41

Sim Schedule Empty Sim Schedule

Post  scottdogg73 Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:14 am

So we've decided on 7-day sims but it seems there's still some debate about the frequency of the sims.
    Are we adding a 4th sim to the week so things don't drag?
    And if so when?
    BSB Owner
    BSB Owner
    Admin

Swings : 208

Sim Schedule Empty Re: Sim Schedule

Post  BSB Owner Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:15 am

I have to see how my schedule shakes out. If anything I might start on three days a week, and if it's too slow, shift into four. It's more about making sure I make the sims then the speed of the in-game season. Might shift the sims to all weekdays, just will have it up in the air for now.
    ApexGM

Swings : 78

Post  ApexGM Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:21 am

I would recomend something like a WMF or T/Th/Su for 3 if you want to shift to 4 then thats up to you.

Too many sims on back to back days and guys might get a bit too far behind. Obviously 4 a week there would almost have to be 2 on successive days.
    scottdogg73
    scottdogg73

Post  scottdogg73 Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:32 am

I don't have a problem with us doing the standard 3 sims a week schedule and I totally understand why people would want that. I'm in 3 other leagues and all of them use that schedule or similar so I was just hoping to do something different here.
    Yes, I know we don't want to rush through the season, but my problem is when playing that schedule we'll complete about 3 to 4 seasons a year, which means it will take roughly 3 years to do a decade, 5 years until we maybe start to see a handful of players reaching HOF type milestones. If part of our enjoyment in the playing the game is creating a history that means we'll have to make a very long-term commitment to this league, specifically, and to ootp in general. To create a history similar to that of MLB we'd have to keep the league going for 25 years. I know we're all feeling gung-ho about our new league but are we sure we're going to make this last for the better part of the next decade, let alone a 2nd decade? I'm not recommending a FOOL-type schedule by any means but I was hoping maybe if we put our heads together we could come up with something a little quicker.
    WichitaGM
    WichitaGM

Swings : 34

Post  WichitaGM Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:59 am

scottdogg73 wrote:I don't have a problem with us doing the standard 3 sims a week schedule and I totally understand why people would want that. I'm in 3 other leagues and all of them use that schedule or similar so I was just hoping to do something different here.
    Yes, I know we don't want to rush through the season, but my problem is when playing that schedule we'll complete about 3 to 4 seasons a year, which means it will take roughly 3 years to do a decade, 5 years until we maybe start to see a handful of players reaching HOF type milestones. If part of our enjoyment in the playing the game is creating a history that means we'll have to make a very long-term commitment to this league, specifically, and to ootp in general. To create a history similar to that of MLB we'd have to keep the league going for 25 years. I know we're all feeling gung-ho about our new league but are we sure we're going to make this last for the better part of the next decade, let alone a 2nd decade? I'm not recommending a FOOL-type schedule by any means but I was hoping maybe if we put our heads together we could come up with something a little quicker.

I agree. I'm all for a realistic pace, but I don't honestly want to still be playing the same team (Wichita Wranglers) in 2019. I think we need to make it work so that there are at least 5 simmed seasons per real year. So, either 4 sims per week, or shorten the season from 162.

BTW- IMHO I think we locked down the season length decision a bit too quickly. As far as the votes go, if you add up votes for 120+other = votes 162. i.e., people are split. I think a compromise (148 games) would be more fair.
    BSB Owner
    BSB Owner
    Admin

Swings : 208

Post  BSB Owner Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:20 pm

Well the votes for 120 were selected in the poll as other. Thus, even if the rest of the GM's voted 120 (other) it still would not be equal.
    ShoelessJoe

Swings : 142

Post  ShoelessJoe Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:21 pm

WichitaGM wrote:
    scottdogg73 wrote:I don't have a problem with us doing the standard 3 sims a week schedule and I totally understand why people would want that. I'm in 3 other leagues and all of them use that schedule or similar so I was just hoping to do something different here.

I agree. I'm all for a realistic pace, but I don't honestly want to still be playing the same team (Wichita Wranglers) in 2019. I think we need to make it work so that there are at least 5 simmed seasons per real year. So, either 4 sims per week, or shorten the season from 162.

BTW- IMHO I think we locked down the season length decision a bit too quickly. As far as the votes go, if you add up votes for 120+other = votes 162. i.e., people are split. I think a compromise (148 games) would be more fair.

I would honestly rather see longer SIMs than a shorter season.

I'd be up for changing something along those lines.

You guys make some good points about how long it will take to generate some history to look back on.

Perhaps we could revist the SIM length and open it up to a discussion before voting?
    scotto313
    scotto313

Swings : 6

Post  scotto313 Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:25 pm

I find fast paced leagues to be more fun.
    WichitaGM
    WichitaGM

Post  WichitaGM Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:32 pm

BSB Owner wrote:Well the votes for 120 were selected in the poll as other. Thus, even if the rest of the GM's voted 120 (other) it still would not be equal.

Ooops... I meant 148+other = 162. (7 votes each)
    ShoelessJoe

Post  ShoelessJoe Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:42 pm

definitely keep 162 games on the schedule. but maybe we should open a debate / discussion on the length of sim. i have just always done 7 day sims so it is what is familiar to me.

you guys made some good points about how long it would take to build some history.

maybe do longer sims?
    scottdogg73
    scottdogg73

Post  scottdogg73 Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:54 pm

I wouldn't want to shorten the schedule too much. Hard to get excited about an ace pitcher winning his 15th game or a hitter collecting his 75th RBI.
    WichitaGM
    WichitaGM

Post  WichitaGM Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:57 pm

scottdogg73 wrote:I wouldn't want to shorten the schedule too much. Hard to get excited about an ace pitcher winning his 15th game or a hitter collecting his 75th RBI.

True.

How about 9 day sims, 3 days a week? (27 days/week)?

about the same as 7 day sims, 4 days a week (28 days/week) that some ppl have been asking for, and 6 extra sim days per week vs 3x7. Probably as "best of both worlds" as we're gonna get. (3 sim days and somewhat fast pace, allowing for 162-game schedule)

We'd get through the entire season (SprTr + Reg season + playoffs) in about 8 weeks using 9 day sims vs 10 weeks using 7 day sims.
    ApexGM

Post  ApexGM Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:52 pm

I think the main thing is guys want to be able to use 7 day lineups.

If we don't do 7 days we migth as well just go 14 days
    Afino
    Afino

Swings : 91

Post  Afino Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:03 pm

If playing one guy every 7 days is that important to people, then set them in the depth charts to start every 7th game.

It's not difficult. Sorry for sounding like a dick, but I always thought 7-day lineups are a useless feature to me at least.
    ShoelessJoe

Post  ShoelessJoe Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:11 pm

I've been thinking a lot today and think we'd be better off to just increase the sims to 10 days or so.

As mentioned before, I am just used to 7 days, don't necessarily use the 7 day lineups, although it is nice to have the option to do so. I am just thinking about what was said earlier about how long it will take us to generate a history.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to blast through a season, but at the same time I don't want to have to play a decade of real life time (lol) to have something solid to look back on.

It'll be fun when you can look back on your player's entire career or even an era of the league. Not to mention seeing guys that you drafted and groomed, make their way into the Hall of Fame.

There has got to be a middle point here where we can progress at a nice steady rate, using a 162 game schedule, without plowing through a season.

Afino wrote:If playing one guy every 7 days is that important to people, then set them in the depth charts to start every 7th game.

It's not difficult. Sorry for sounding like a dick, but I always thought 7-day lineups are a useless feature to me at least.

FWIW the 7 day lineups aren't meant to play a player once every 7 days... it is more to see the upcoming matchups, and start your players based on that. Lefty lefty match-ups etc. Giving certain players days off against weaker pitchers and whatnot.

At least that is how I have used them in the past.
    Voodoo
    Voodoo

Swings : 38

Post  Voodoo Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:15 pm

My preferrence would be 4 sims per week at 7 days each. However, I recgonize that this might be tough on the commish.

My second choice would be 3 sims per week at 7 days each as in the poll choice.

As a compromise, I could live with 3 sims per week at 9 or 10 days each.

Frankly, I don't see the value in rushing through the seasons. But I understand that we will have differing opinions on this.
    ApexGM

Post  ApexGM Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:18 pm

I do liketo get thru a bunch of seasons in a year to have guys retire and hit the hof etc.

The reason I use 7 day lineups are SP matchups and skipping guys every now and thenin the rotation. Also if a guy is eligble ot come off the DL but has 2 or so days left or the 2 day injury, you can set the 7 day lineup and go from there with resting him 2 days. We might have low injuries but if you play an injured guy or day to day guy you could put him at risk for more or worse injuries.

I am in fav of 7 day lineups but everyone will be in the same boat so I am fine with whatever.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am