Box Seats Baseball

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Box Seats Baseball

OOTP X league for the best and brightest of baseball fans!

2 posters

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report)

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Empty American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report)

Post  Guest Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:57 am

**CROSS POSTING FROM OOTP BOARD**

I am going to attempt to start my first dynasty report. Ever since I started playing OOTP with OOTP2007 I have always used a rough sketch of these teams and this league when I played. I have used the ABA name before OOTP9 adapted it and I may have been the one to actually suggest the name in the end(http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-8-2007-general-discussions/163962-out-park-baseball-9-quickstart-3.html#post2456467). I finally have a roadmap drawn out of how I want this league to go so I figure there won't be a better time to start my first dynasty report.

There is no backstory to my league as to how MLB came to not exist. It just doesn't exist. The American Baseball Association is starting up in 2009 with 12 teams and leagues based geographically. Further posts will break down each team. To begin the league there will be a inaugural draft with budgets based on population.

I used the MLB quickstart to begin the league, deleted any players who were up there in age and weren't very good ratings wise(Griffey Jr., Moyer, etc.) as well as a good chunk of players that were just 21/21 and would just find themselves sitting on the free agent list. After clearing up room on MLB clubs I moved each teams top 5 prospects onto their MLB clubs, deleted every minor league and it's players. I deleted every MLB team to put every remaining player on the free agent list, cleared histories, created my league and we're now ready for the inaugural draft.

For amateur drafts, the players in the draft will be former MLB players coming into the league as guys out of high school and college. So we can see Ken Griffey Jr. come back with his whole career ahead of him and in the same draft class as Ty Cobb. I am still looking for the best way to import these guys. Before I have imported from the master.csv file from a year I felt was their peak, adjusted birth date and 1/3'd their current ratings but kept their potentials the same. I might still import to get fielding ratings but use the ratings editor to import career stats to get potentials. I'm not starting this league until the new patch so I'll see how the new version handles importing historical players into the draft and if the ratings editor is fixed. If y'all have any suggestions, please feel free to share.

As far as the rules for this league, there are no minor league systems. All teams use the reserve roster and it is limited to 20 players in size. This is to prevent from hoarding prospects. The amateur draft is 5 rounds long but could possibly expand in the future with a growing amount of franchises. DH rule is on for both leagues. Trading deadline is July 31st but there is no rule 5 draft with there not being minor leagues. There is also no compensation for losing free agents. Coaching and scouting are both turned off. Injuries are set to low. I also play with the morale system off in this league since people will get mad about being on the reserve roster when they should be. Personality system is on though. Both pitcher and batter aging speeds are set to .800 with dev. speed kept at 1.000. Talent change randomness is 20. Trading frequency is set to low and difficulty is hard.

I am really looking for a good amount of outside participation for this league. Voting on players for who should be in the next amateur draft to voting on what cities get the next expansion teams. I would love this league to grow from a 12 team league into a 30 team league one day.

As far as who I am controlling, I'll be playing as the Hartford Owls. While yes, we did end up with the first pick overall, it was done randomly. I promise! Smile

Last edited by Shane on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Empty Re: American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report)

Post  Guest Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:09 am

This post is an introduction of sorts to the 12 teams in the American Baseball Association. From here you might get a bit of an outline of how this league could shape up. If y'all have any more information you'd like displayed in these, feel free to share!

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Chicago_blazers
    Chicago Blazers

• Eastern League
    • Stadium: Bank One Ballpark (Max. Attendance: 45,000)
    • Budget: $150,000,000
    • Inaugural Draft Slot: 11th / 12

The Chicago Blazers are the big market team in the Eastern League. They play ball at Bank One Ballpark which is an open roofed, grass stadium that the ball tends to carry in a bit. Despite the fact that they are next to the very bottom of the list when it comes to the inaugural draft, they'll be able to take players that most clubs can't afford such as Albert Pujols($23,000,000 annually).

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Denver_stampede
    Denver Stampede

• Western League
    • Stadium: Qwest Field (Max. Attendance: 40,500)
    • Budget: $90,000,000
    • Inaugural Draft Slot: 9th / 12

Denver is one of the middle of the road teams when it comes to budget and max capacity at their respective stadium. Clocking it at a $90M budget, they are hoping to draft well enough to sell out Qwest Field night after night, which holds just over 40,000. Whereas we know Denver in real life to be a hitters dream park, Qwest Field here is a pitchers park for sure. It's a long ways to straight away center and the ballpark factors overall all fall under 1.000. Let's just hope they draft the pitchers to help them keep opponents from putting up large numbers against them.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Florida_pelicans
    Florida Pelicans

• Eastern League
    • Stadium: Sunshine Stadium (Max. Attendance: 35,900)
    • Budget: $80,000,000
    • Inaugural Draft Slot: 8th / 12

The Florida Pelicans are a dip below average when it comes to market size. They reside in Miami, FL and play ball in one of only two stadiums to not sell off naming rights in the league. Both those stadiums are also the oldest in the league. This stadium also happens to be the smallest stadium in terms of capacity. Sunshine stadium is a total pitchers park with straight away center clocking in at 435 ft. in distance. With the eight pick in the inaugural draft and a budget of $80,000,000 they'll pepper in a handful of well paid veterans but should ideally draft relatively young to help build a future down in South Beach.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Hartford_owls
    Hartford Owls

• Eastern League
    • Stadium: Hartford Financial Field (Max. Attendance: 35,900)
    • Budget: $60,000,000
    • Inaugural Draft Slot: 1st / 12

Hartford is THE small market team. You are not going to get any smaller and the people of Hartford have no problem with that. Playing ball at Hartford Financial Field, the Owls can only hope to draw in big numbers into their tiny stadium. Tied with Florida for the smallest capacity at 35,900 max, they'll need to draw in big numbers to compete. Their budget, clocking in at $60,000,000 is basically miniscule in this league. Even though they have the first pick overall, they are out of the race for players like Albert Pujols, Johan Santana, and Alex Rodriguez before they are even out of the starting gate. They'll have to draft very young and pray that New York or Boston doesn't get awarded expansion franchises early on in this young league's life to be able to survive.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Las_vegas_lake_monsters
    Las Vegas Lake Monsters

• Western League
    • Stadium: MGM Grand Park (Max. Attendance: 40,200)
    • Inaugural Draft Slot: 10th / 12

Las Vegas is basically the same exact team as the Denver Stampede. They clock in at the same budget, nearly the same capacity at their park and are just one pick behind them in the inaugural draft. The one difference is, the park they made on the Las Vegas strip is one made for offensive showings. They'll need to get some big boppers in there to put up some offensive firepower. It'll be interesting to see if a bit of a rivalry will come from these two teams being so similar.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Memphis_thunder
    Memphis Thunder

• Eastern League
    • Stadium: FedEx Field (Max. Attendance: 44,700)
    • Budget: $95,000,000
    • Inaugural Draft Slot: 6th / 12

Baseball in Memphis, Tennessee is bound to be a hit. FedEx Field is one of the larger capacity stadiums in the league at a hair under 45K. Their starting budget of $95M is one of the higher budgets and picking 6th in this draft is certainly not a bad thing. At the sixth pick they could see a Tim Lincecum or Stephen Strasburg fall in their lap and have it not effect their budget too much. While a lot of home runs don't happen at FedEx Field, hitters with good contact and gap power could have a field day here. An emphasis on defense has to be a must for the Thunder.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Minneapolis_navigators
    Minneapolis Navigators

• Eastern League
    • Stadium: Target Stadium (Max. Attendance: 49,300)
    • Budget: $75,000,000
    • Inaugural Draft Slot: 5th / 12

Minneapolis is a pretty funny team. While clocking in at the low budget of $75M, second lowest in the league, they have the ballpark with the largest capacity, nearly 50K. This gives Minneapolis room to grow into a larger budget team provided they can put together a winner. They'll be an interesting team to watch in the East. Drafting fifth in the inaugural draft, they're in prime position to grab a very young piece to kick start their organization such as Stephen Strasburg.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Oklahoma_city_wheat_kings
    Oklahoma City Wheat Kings

• Western League
    • Stadium: Wheat Field (Max. Attendance: 35,900)
    • Inaugural Draft Slot: 4th / 12

Oklahoma City is somewhat the antithesis of Minneapolis in that they have a modest budget at $90M but their capacity is only around 36K. They do play in an old ballpark though so they could see an upgrade pretty early down the road. Their field is a total pitchers park so they'll want to draft heavy on the pitchers and could even take some of the flyball pitchers that most other teams might pass on. Drafting fourth overall in the inaugural draft, they have been put in place to be able to pick up a Tim Lincecum or better. It'll be up to them to prove that baseball can survive in the plains states.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Pittsburgh_steelhounds
    Pittsburgh Steelhounds

• Eastern League
    • Stadium: Heinz Field (Max. Attendance: 39,800)
    • Budget: $75,000,000
    • Inaugural Draft Slot: 7th / 12

Pittsburgh, like Hartford, could possibly have a long road ahead of them if they want to compete. They are going to have to be smart and draft young as they don't have much of a budget. What is also hindering them is the fact that they are drafting 7th in this draft with such a small budget. At that spot they should be able to land Zach Greinke, Joe Mauer, or David Wright. Heinz Field is a park that rewards power so they might be better off solidifying a position rather than a slot in their rotation in the first round. If they do falter in early seasons, they'll need to draft smart to be able to compete in the East.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Portland_phantoms
    Portland Phantoms

• Western League
    • Stadium: Nike Field (Max. Attendance: 44,700)
    • Inaugural Draft Slot: 2nd / 12

Portland is sitting rather pretty when you look at it before the chips fall. Drafting second overall and a budget that sits around league average, they can draft a young guy who isn't making much, presumably Felix Hernandez, Hanley Ramirez or Evan Longoria, and still have cash for the later rounds to bring in a big dollar guy. I think with this combination, we could actually predict that Portland might be forerunners for the first ever American Baseball Association Championship. With a stadium that can seat around 45K, if they can win, they should only expect more and more resources to open up to them in the future. And there is some that say baseball can't succeed in Portland!

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) San_diego_pride
    San Diego Pride

• Western League
    • Stadium: Qualcomm Stadium (Max. Attendance: 45,000)
    • Budget: $140,000,000
    • Inaugural Draft Slot: 3rd / 12

The one team that will probably sit in Portland's way is San Diego. Drafting just a slot behind them at number three, they can also pull in that young, controllable player and have the money for an Albert Pujols in round two or three. Pujols in the second round just shows you how scary this team can really be with this budget and this draft slot. If they don't win the first Western League pennant, it'll just be one more strike against those that argue a salary cap should have been put in place. With Qualcomm Stadium, they need to draft offensively as much as possible as the pitching doesn't have a chance. You are going to see a lot of fireworks in Southern California.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) San_francisco_conquest
    San Francisco Conquest

• Western League
    • Stadium: Wells Fargo Ballpark (Max. Attendance: 44,400)
    • Budget: $100,000,000
    • Inaugural Draft Slot: 12th / 12

While San Francisco has one of the largest budgets in the league, they unfortunately got stuck with the last pick in the inaugural draft's first round. At that point they are going to have to hope for a CC Sabathia or Matt Wieters. Jay Bruce, Ryan Braun and of course, Albert Pujols are the consolation prizes after that, which are certainly nothing to scoff at. Their field is a balanced field for the most part, maybe leaning a bit towards a pitchers park. With the kind of budget they have though, it won't be terribly necessary to solidify a franchise number one starter in the inaugural draft as there will be all sorts of money for free agency after year one.

Last edited by Shane on Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ShoelessJoe

Swings : 142

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Empty Re: American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report)

Post  ShoelessJoe Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:16 pm

Very nicely done!

Post  Guest Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:23 pm

Thanks! I've been working on this league in terms of getting it all set up for about a month now. I've actually ran the inaugural draft already, just waiting for the patch(OS X here) to get going as I'll need to it populate the draft pool with it's new "importing historical players into draft pool" feature.
    BSB Owner
    BSB Owner
    Admin

Swings : 208

Post  BSB Owner Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:53 am

Those logos are fantastic. Love the little previews too. Smile

Post  Guest Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:42 pm

So the American Baseball Association Inaugural Draft has taken place and gone off without a hitch. This post will run down how the teams all are sitting now that their rosters have been set, for the most part. There were a lot of interesting names that went undrafted and are now sitting in the free agent pool. Some of these guys could certainly be had at a heavily discounted rate.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Chicago_blazers
    Chicago Blazers

While the rest of the draft went very young in the first round, Chicago, who was picking 11th, went with the established ace, CC Sabathia. For the remainder of the top five rounds, they went with left fielder Elijah Dukes in round two, catcher Geovany Soto in round three, starting pitcher Chris Young in round four and shortstop Rafael Furcal in round five.

Steal of the Draft: Because Chicago was the only team with the money to do it at this point, they were able to get Carlos Beltran in round twenty. Beltran is rated an 80/80 and is projected to be one of the best center fielders in the league.

Jury Is Still Out: On their ninth round pick of right fielder Vladimir Guerrero. An older right fielder who has little range it'll be interesting if they try and play their twenty first round selection in Kosuke Fukudome RF and play Vlad as the DH as he has little value in the field.

Future Face of the Franchise: In the inaugural draft the Blazers drafted to win now which has left their future prospects a bit barren. It's really a toss up at this point between starting pitcher Tim Alderson and third baseman Mat Gamel. Alderson might end up being a 4 or 5 starter at best while Gamel might develop at strong bat but at age 23, it's hard to see him becoming any better fielding his position, which he is quite inadequate at.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Denver_stampede
    Denver Stampede

Denver chose 9th overall and came down with a great pick in third baseman David Wright. After that they saw starting pitcher Rick Porcello in round two, first baseman Joey Votto in round three, starting pitcher Scott Kazmir in round four and closer Joe Nathan in round five.

Steal of the Draft: Finding right fielder Milton Bradley sitting there for the taking in round eight must have been like Christmas to them. The man can straight up hit and isn't all that bad at his position either. He was commanding a large salary which saw him slip but Denver could end up looking like geniuses with this move.

Jury Is Still Out: On the fact that they picked a closer with their fifth pick. Joe Nathan is as dominant as they come, sure, but top five round material on a guy who is going to throw one inning every couple nights? Not quite sure what they were thinking here with plenty of quality starting pitchers and position players still on the board at this point.

Future Face of the Franchise: While we weren't big on Denver's fifth pick, one pick we absolutely love is their second round pick, Rick Porcello. This kid won't strike out every batter but he'll be the heir to the #1 spot in Denver's rotation for years to come.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Florida_pelicans
    Florida Pelicans

Florida picked quite the guy to be the face of their franchise with their first pick. Joe Mauer is expected to be behind the plate for years to come and the numbers he is capable of putting up will leave the Eastern League in fear. After Mauer the Pelicans chose starting pitcher Rich Harden with their second round, first baseman Miguel Cabrera with their third round, starting pitcher Roy Oswalt with their fourth round and center fielder Nate McClouth with their fifth round pick.

Steal of the Draft: Looking through all thirty five rounds, we're not seeing a single steal for Florida in this draft. It's actually looking like a draft full of quite a few missteps and a lot of mismanagement. Hopefully someone steps up for Florida and proves us all wrong.

Jury Is Still Out: On picking Nate McClouth to man center field in round five. McClouth, while not a scrub, demanded $9.5M per year, which is a large chunk of money for a cash strapped team like Florida. Especially when a better potential guy like Adam Jones went in round five and will make league minimum.

Future Face of the Franchise: You would think that a team like Florida, who is trying to compete with a small budget, would have tried to assure them at least ONE top flight prospect but that is not the case. Starting pitcher Wade Davis, chosen in the twenty fifth round, is their top prospect at this point and he'll be lucky to end up as a #3 starter in this league eventually. #4 or #5 starter at best in his case and left fielder Travis Snider, chosen in the sixth round, might end up being the better value in the end.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Hartford_owls
    Hartford Owls

Hartford had the first pick of the draft which was probably the most stressful pick possible. While being hindered with the smallest budget of the entire league, most were expecting them to go with third baseman Evan Longoria who would make league minimum. Instead they chose starting pitcher Felix Hernandez, who was demanding $9.5M his first year and will undoubtedly get a raise next year in arbitration. Following the pick they chose left fielder Ryan Braun in round two, center fielder Dustin Ackley in round three, starting pitcher Brandon Webb in round four and right fielder Hunter Pence in round five.

Steal of the Draft: This could very well end up being seventh rounder David Price. This starting pitcher has the potential to be absolutely dominating but he's not quite there just yet. It'll be interesting if they have to use him in the starting rotation their first year or if they'll be able to keep him on the reserve roster and delay his service time a whole year.

Jury Is Still Out: On picking center fielder Dustin Ackley in the third round. Don't get us wrong, this kid possesses all five tools. It just remains to be seen if he'll be able to put it all together to become the player Hartford hopes he turns into. Otherwise this is a high risk with a very high pick.

Future Face of the Franchise: It's a toss up but we have to go with David Price here. Whereas with Ackley it's "if this kid puts it all together," with Price it's "once this kid puts it all together." When he does, he is going to have some of the nastiest stuff in the league. In the top three in prospects for the entire league.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Las_vegas_lake_monsters
    Las Vegas Lake Monsters

Las Vegas went out and possibly shored up their backstop for a whole lot of years with their first pick in the draft. Catcher Matt Wieters still needs a bit of polish but scouts are projecting him to be the best catcher this league will see for a long time. Which is a strong statement since he'll be following in Florida's Joe Mauer's shadow for a good portion of his career. It'll be interesting to see which team picked the correct catcher. The Lake Monsters chose starting pitcher Cole Hamels in the second round, third baseman Ryan Zimmerman in the third round, first baseman Lance Berkman in the fourth round and starting pitcher Yovani Gallardo in the fifth round.

Steal of the Draft: We have to go to the seventh round when the Lake Monsters chose left fielder Matt Holiday. At this point we've seen outfielders Nate McClouth, Adam Jones, Travis Snider and Hunter Pence go before him. Matt Holiday will end up being a premier bat in this league and you can mark our words.

Jury Is Still Out: On nothing really. Maybe picking Wieters in the first round was a little premature but how can you hate that pick? He looks like he could be a hall of famer when it's all said and done. Through and through Las Vegas didn't really do anything wrong with any of their picks.

Future Face of the Franchise: Wieters has been put on the active roster so we're not sure if we should choose him. We're not going too far down in quality though if we choose starting pitcher Madison Bumgarner. Top 10 prospect for sure, narrowly missing top 5 status. He is only 19 years old and we're already seeing plenty of all-star teams in his future.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Memphis_thunder
    Memphis Thunder

Memphis chose a guy that I can just see being from Memphis(even though he is from Lincoln, Nebraska) in Joba Chamberlain. I'm still on the fence about the fact that their ace has a bit of control issues but he does have overpowering stuff when it's working. He should bring some electrifying starts to FedEx Field. Memphis brought in some solid players to join Chamberlain in following rounds. Center fielder Matt Kemp in the second round, first baseman Prince Fielder in the third round, starting pitcher Dan Haren in the fourth round and second baseman Chase Utley in the fifth round.

Steal of the Draft: Chase Utley in the fifth round is an absolute heist. In a league where second base might be the weakest position, Memphis got the best of the lot and managed to do so after already establishing a good core in the draft. This guy is going to be a perennial all-star.

Jury Is Still Out: On Sean Gallagher in the 11th round. We're really not sure where he fits in with this team, especially that high up. I would have gone for a highly touted prospect if you wanted to go pitcher or stayed position player. As this pick stands, it looks like Memphis shorted themselves a quality player for a barely serviceable arm.

Future Face of the Franchise: Yeesh. I think Joba Chamberlain by default even though he is going to start off as their ace. Their reserve roster is seriously barren of top flight talent. Catcher Carlos Santana is about as close as it gets and we're not ready to call him a sure thing just yet. Projects to be a starter but won't be an all-star.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Minneapolis_navigators
    Minneapolis Navigators

Minneapolis erupted when they saw the arm that will steer the ship for years and years to come at the top of their rotation fall to them. At pick #5, Stephen Strasburg was chosen to be their ace for the next several years. He might still be a year or so away but this guy is destined to be one of the greatest ever. After Strasburg, Minneapolis put together a decent squad. Their second choice was first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. Third choice was catcher Brian McCann. Fourth choice was starting pitcher Derek Lowe. Fifth choice was shortstop J.J. Hardy.

Steal of the Draft: We're going to look back and wonder how Minneapolis landed McCann in the third round, especially after seeing guys like Max Scherzer go ahead of him. McCann is going to be an excellent catcher in this league and have great value in a tough position.

Jury Is Still Out: On J.J. Hardy in round five. We just don't see it. Granted, shortstop is a position of weakness in this league but I feel like they picked one a bit too soon. With Furcal and Tulowitzki still on the board at that point they possibly created an unneeded rush towards the position.

Future Face of the Franchise: This is without a doubt Strasburg. He's not only the future face of this franchise but he's the future face of this league. He is going to be essential to this club, they just need to keep getting young, projectable guys to put around him.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Oklahoma_city_wheat_kings
    Oklahoma City Wheat Kings

We said this team needed to focus on pitching and apparently they were listening. They took starting pitcher Tim Lincecum with the fourth overall pick who'll be an anchor in that #1 spot. Building around him with shortstop Jose Reyes in the second round was a solid move. Following that up with center fielder Colby Rasmus in the third, starting pitchers Jake Peavy and Francisco Liriano in the fourth and fifth rounds? This team is going to be good.

Steal of the Draft: Without a doubt, catcher Victor Martinez in the eighth round is going to pay dividends. He is going to do so much great work with this already good pitching staff that OKC is going to be a scary, scary team.

Jury Is Still Out: On Francisco Liriano in the fifth round. I feel like they could have swapped Victor Martinez and Liriano and it'd have made more sense. Liriano could end up being better than we think but he still has a long way to prove that.

Future Face of the Franchise: Absolutely this is Colby Rasmus. He'll come up around the same time Hartford's Dustin Ackley does and we'll have a great time watching the two of these go at it to prove who is the better player. An absolutely essential piece.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Pittsburgh_steelhounds
    Pittsburgh Steelhounds

Pittsburgh, unlike Florida, knew what it had to do. In the first round they took starting pitcher Zach Greinke and shored up their #1 spot. After that they drafted guys who are still young and still not at their potentials but could end up being HUGE players in this league. With the second pick they took shortstop Elvis Andrus. With the third pick they chose center fielder Cameron Maybin. Round four saw them take starting pitcher Chad Billingsley and in the fifth round they took third baseman Chipper Jones.

Steal of the Draft: With how Pittsburgh drafted, I think they knew they weren't going to compete this first and probably even second year. But they took an amazing third baseman in Chipper Jones in the fifth round who they could end up dealing away to a contender this year or next and get a nice return on. He'll also provide the leadership to get these young kids moving on the field.

Jury Is Still Out: Like with Las Vegas, we can't find any large mistake in this draft. Pittsburgh drafted pretty well and actually ended up with several steals in later rounds with left fielder Manny Ramirez in round eight and first baseman Carlos Pena in round twenty.

Future Face of the Franchise: Cameron Maybin is going to be a monster in center field for years in Heinz Field. He is going to strike out a lot but he is going to make up for it with the doubles, triples and good fielding. This kid will be an all-star.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) Portland_phantoms
    Portland Phantoms

Portland had the second pick in the draft and a sizeable budget to boot. This afforded them to take shortstop phenom Hanley Ramirez in the first round. They didn't stop spending the money there though as they took right fielder Justin Upton in the second round, center fielder Grady Sizemore in the third round, starting pitcher Johan Santana in the fourth round, and starting pitcher Chris Carpenter in the fifth round.

Steal of the Draft: The fact that they took, quite possibly, the best pitcher in the league in the fourth round is pretty absurd. Johan Santana slipped because of money demands but Portland didn't mind ponying up the cash at all. Santana is going to go out every time and give you the best chance to win. He'll help them compete in the Western League right off the start.

Jury Is Still Out: On taking left fielder Chris Dickerson in the fourteenth round. But it is the fourteenth round so it might not matter either way. When all is said and done, we think Portland might have had the best draft class overall.

Future Face of the Franchise: They really don't have a top flight prospect in their system and we're not sure that bothers them much. This team's future is right now and they'll be competitive for years to come.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) San_diego_pride
    San Diego Pride

San Diego had a similar situation to Portland, just one pick lower and a much larger budget. Because of that budget they came away with an amazing run in the first five rounds. With their first pick they chose third baseman Even Longoria. Longoria projects to have some of the best hitting and pure power skills you are bound to see, along with plus defense at third base. This kid is going to have it all. The fact that he'll be sitting across the field from second round pick, first baseman Albert Pujols, is a frightening thought. They chose their first starting pitcher in the third round with Max Scherzer and followed that up with starting pitcher Roy Halladay in round four and shortstop Jimmy Rollins in the fifth round.

Steal of the Draft: It was a second round pick by the name of Albert Pujols. Without a doubt he'll be the premier offensive player in this league and to get him in the second round is ridiculous. He'll keep San Diego in contention for years.

Jury Is Still Out: On Max Scherzer being their third round pick. He isn't even going to be their #1 starter. That'll go to fourth rounder Roy Halladay. A bit of a strecth but he'll be a good #2 or #3 starter.

Future Face of the Franchise: Evan Longoria will play his first year but he is going to be the future of this franchise. He'll put up good numbers this year and will just get better for the next couple years. This kid has hall of fame written all over him.

American Baseball Association (My First Dynasty Report) San_francisco_conquest
    San Francisco Conquest

San Francisco got stuck with the last pick of the draft and chose center fielder Jay Bruce with it. Bruce will be a good center fielder who should give the Conquest plenty of good years. Following that pick they chose starting pitcher Matt Cain in the second round, center fielder B.J. Upton in the third round, starting pitcher Josh Johnson in the fourth round and second baseman Ian Kinsler in the fifth round.

Steal of the Draft: Third baseman Alex Rodriguez in the fourteenth round will certainly help the Conquest. He is going to put up some big numbers while manning the hot spot.

Jury Is Still Out: On selecting Jay Bruce in the first round. This is a team that could afford Albert Pujols and they passed on him. This move is going to come back to haunt them when Pujols is putting up absurd numbers year after year in the Western League.

Future Face of the Franchise: Jay Bruce will be starting his first year so we're going to go with a combination of him and shortstop Gordon Beckham. If both players develop like expected, the Conquest could have two demanding positions shored up for a long, long time.

Post  Guest Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:49 pm

I am looking for players to include in my first year amateur draft for the American Baseball Association. Below is a form to put in the historical player's name you'd like to see included in the next year's draft. Please do not include any players currently in the MLB Hall of Fame.

American Baseball Association Amateur Draft Form

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:09 am